12.25.2009

To Love

Christmas this year has felt different then most. I don't know if it's because of the lack of snow, the intensity of finals, or perhaps the thought of it possibly being my last Christmas in Seattle (at least for awhile)... and also not knowing where I am going to be or who I am going to be celebrating Christmas with next year. Though I have confidence it will be wonderful, wherever and whoever it will be with, the unknown is always unsettling to some extent.

Still, Christmas is one of my most favorite times of year. The time when communities, regardless of religious and social backgrounds, emphasize giving, family, and hope for something a little more wonderful... and of course, Love. Love, while it's such an enigma, also holds such simple facets. The way my heart swelled when I delivered gifts to my kids- hearing them squeal and smother me with hugs and kisses. It just can't be beat. Love that is. And I guess my greatest Christmas wish is that we learn and continue to learn to Love. Love as He did.

It's past midnight- Merry Christmas!! I'll leave you with wise words from Clive Staples Lewis.

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.” - CS Lewis

3 comments:

  1. I love these thoughts and what a perfect way to end this post, with a wonderful quote. :) It's a beautiful post. I love you.

    ReplyDelete