9.30.2009

Countryside



Last weekend, my roommates and I drove out at 9:45pm to a small farm town in Eastern Washington. As we got closer to Zillah, I saw something I haven’t seen in a long time – a dark sky full of bright burning stars. It brought me back to nights in Ghana where constellations were never hard to spot and sadly, I took it for granted. We pulled over next to some cornfields and three of us climbed on top of Amanda’s car to lie together under the stars. Very Romantic.

The next morning, we cooked eggs and bacon in Amanda’s family kitchen. So yummy! Her family owns a golf course and family fun center & pizzeria in Granger so we went over there to spend the day playing. BUT, before we left the house, we found a vintage red “De Luxe Twinn 5” tandem bicycle. Soooooooo rad and fun. Riding the tandem was rather challenging and slightly scary but very very amusing and enjoyable.

It was so hot. The best part of the day was sitting in the front yard as the sun cast a warm haze and I honestly felt like I was living in a beautiful photograph. My heart has been craving the countryside – slower pace, wide open spaces, really fresh air, barefoot kids that talk to you even though they don’t know you (in a slight country twang). This fed my soul a little bit; but oh, how I wait for the day I won’t have to leave.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part was watching you guys try and ride the tandem bike. I love you guys.
    -Kira
    p.s. Is this just video from Amanda's camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People always laugh at me when I say Yakima is my favorite place to visit, but my cousins own a farm out there. When I was little, we would pick fresh apples from the apple orchard and make homemade apple pies and applesauce. It's a tradition that I will miss being down here in Vegas because being out in the stillness of the country feeds my soul.

    ~Juliana

    ReplyDelete